Remove and Reinstall Communication client via PowerShell

Hello!

I have a couple of endpoints that I can’t physically access that are not “phoning home” to the portal and are showing offline. I believe I may need to reinstall the communication client, but all attempts to do so via powershell fail (I’m assuming due to needing the password to confirm uninstall). Is there an established process for this? If not, can I get some tips on how to force the uninstall via powershell so I can reinstall the EM client?

hi @kwallity

I will check for the feasibility and get back to you.

hi @kwallity

if the devices have offline status on EM Portal, it doesn’t mean, that you have lost enrollment data and re-enroll is required. Maybe ITSM Service is stopped and just device restart or ITSM Service restart will help. If it doesn’t help, in this case you can follow the next steps:

1. Open registry hive Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ to find out EM agent UUID.
  2. Run cmd.exe as administrator and execute the command :

MsiExec.exe /X{7DDE78A8-D612-4E47-A356-52EE7FC642D6} /qn
where {7DDE78A8-D612-4E47-A356-52EE7FC642D6} should be replaced with real ID from your environment found on step 1.
3) Restart the device.
4) Generate a new MSI package, and install it using the command:

MsiExec.exe /i “path_to_msi” /qn

But if EM agent is password protected there is guaranty, that it will be deleted. For these purposes, we would recommend to use Offline removal tool, but you have to connect to the device using any application for remote connection or RDP.

Request you to follow the same and share your feedback , if in case you need the offline tool let me know , so that we can share the details

Thanks, @nivedithab nvidithab!

In my circumstance, the agent is password protected, which I’m assuming is also why the built-in procedure to uninstall and reinstall the EM agent fails out. Can you please provide more details on the offline removal tool?

Hi @kwallity

The offline removal tool is a tool which helps you to remove the agent with password and hash key provided by us which will be valid for 72 hours. After 72 hours you may require freshly generated password and hash key to execute the offline removal tool.